There are both pros and cons to building your own coop:
- save money
- you can build a coop specific to your needs
- it can be a fun family project
- must have the right tools
- takes time
- basic woodworking skills will help
- can cost more than a fully assembled coop depending what you invest in the wood, roofing, siding, etc
If you do decide to build a coop or are still trying to decide we recommend checking out the following resources:
- Books from your local library that describe the ins and outs of building a coop. This can help you decide if it is a project you want to undertake.
- The following websites:
These sites offer a lot of free advice and some of the plans on building your own coop are free.